The craft of home cheesemaking is exploding in popularity. However, most "beginner" books are essentially loosely organized collections of recipes which lack a progressive approach to teaching the fundamentals of this exciting and satisfying traditional skill. Mastering Basic Cheesemaking provides a complete hands-on guide to making cheese and other fermented dairy products from scratch, geared toward helping the novice cheesemaker to develop the intuition and abilities to position them for success, especially in the real world of the home kitchen.
This well-illustrated and clearly written practical guide assumes no prior experience on the part of the aspiring cheesemaker. Topics include:
· Tips and secrets for essentials such as choosing milk and the differences between goat, cow, and sheep milk
· Bonus recipes for exciting cheeses such as burrata, quick cheddar curds, and ghee
· Options for choosing cultures, ingredients, and equipment to make home cheesemaking more affordable
· How to age cheeses simply in any home refrigerator
· Step-by-step encouragement and insight from a professional, artisan cheesemakerWhether you are a budding cheesemaker, avid do-it-yourselfer, foodie, homesteader, or cheese professional, this complete course in beginning cheesemaking from one of North America's foremost instructors is packed with everything you need to create delicious, nourishing, and beautiful classic cheeses and other dairy delights.
Gianaclis Caldwell is the head cheesemaker and co-owner of Pholia Farm, well-known for its artisan, aged raw-milk cheeses, and for its educational offerings. She is the author of Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, The Small-Scale Cheese Business, and The Small-Scale Dairy.